Saturday, February 13, 2010

Huesch: The Baritone

When I glorify certain artists of 'my generation' as unique and incomparable, Wendy, my young wife, is apt to caution me, noting that ,sooner or later, someone from the 'new generation' comes along to equal or even top them.  Now I am listening to Gerard Huesch, that, yes, incomparable baritone with just the right voice, diction, enunciation and emotional range to do justice to his exhaustive repertory of Schubert, Schumann and Brahms.  There is a history behind my conviction:  today's conservatories no longer can rely on a tradition that goes back to great teachers like Schumann-Heink, Lotte Lehmann and List.  The only one who stands out, as far as I know, is Discher Fieskau, and though he reflects an impeccable schooling, which to his credit he passes on to scores of voice students in extensive seminars, even he does not possess the different timbres and nuances that Huesch reveals in his Schoene Muellerin, Winterreise and Schwanengesang........I hope Immanuel Wilheim sees this and sends us his learned comment.  Not to mention Marilu's conceivably sarcastic comment on the German (vs. Italian and French) school......

No comments:

Post a Comment