Monday, February 15, 2010

Jacqueline Thalberg

Can use anybody and everybody's help to connect with Jacqueline Thalberg in Vienna.  I urge anybody with the necessary computer ability to send her tghe following message:

Greetings from Washington, D.C. where I first came in 1950 and was privileged to count your father as one of my first good friends. If I remember correctly, he was then press attache. Along with two other journalists, Werner Immhoof of the Neue Zuericher and Henry Tanner, another Swiss, then of the Houston Post, we were among the 'groupies; of Georgetown--and the State Department where we would attend the daily 'noon briefings' which meant a long poker game until about 13:30. What differentiates those days from the present, among other things, is the size of the foreign press corps. In those days we were hardly more than one or two dozen. I represented the United Press and another European Jew, Andre Marton, was my AP counterpart. When he died, less than a year ago, he was the father-in-law of Ambassador Holbrook. Eine kleine und komische welt. I remember your father very fondly not only because he helped me feel at home in Washington but also because of his wonderful sense of humor, something not so common among the European diplomats. More and more my field became Latin America, a subject I taught during five years at the Freie Universitaet in Berlin. My wife Wendy worked their with Transparency International. Most of all we enjoyed the rich (and affordable) music life, spiced, of course, by the presence of my semi-compatriot Daniel Barenboim. He still misses Buenos Aires, as I do as well. That was before (and after Washington when I went b ack as the New York Times correspondent. So dieses ist nicht als Artikel gemeint sondern als ein 'message' that I hope will receive a response. Hochachtungsvoll con un abrazo, Henry Raymont 2500 Q Street, N.W.

3 comments:

  1. Jacqueline now lives in the San Francisco bay area in east bay, around El Cerrito I believe.

    She is married to Dennis Carrington, dencarri@hotmail.com

    I don't have her telephone number or current address. I haven't seen her in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline lives in Richmond, California.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am said person and my email is mariettahikes@yahoo.com.

    To "Edward": I don't know who you are, but it's not a good idea to publish someone's email without their consent! I can assure you that Mr. Carrington (from whom I am divorced) would NOT appreciate receiving emails regarding my whereabouts!
    Jacqueline Thalberg

    ReplyDelete