Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunny Sunday mornings in D.C.


show details 11:45 AM (0 minutes ago)
So, we went to the Eastern Market yesterday which is a magnified version of our little farmer's market that operates Sundays from 10 am to 1pm --both the opening and closing marked by the sound of a huge gong--a few blocks away at Dupont Circle.  But while the Dupont market is pretty much what is now called 'upscale' ('bourgeoise pigs', in my days) the Eastern is for 'everybody' (erstwhile 'hoi poloi'); also they have a much wider variety of things like pickles, sausages from Argentina, dried fruit, nuts, etc.  And bakery goods at prices you wouldn't believe:  a NY rye for $1.10 instead of the $6.00 you have to pay at Dupont. Also for 60 cents I got a Hammentasche chock full of honeyed poppy seeds.
Now you may wonder why I ordered the Berlin books at the Corner Bookstore when at Barnes & Noble they would give me a 20 per cent discount.  But if I did not support the local mom and pop store, what would I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment